2019 ELECTIONS INFORMATION LETTER
As we move into 2019, church nominations and elections are just around the corner. This letter is an overview of how we conduct our annual elections for church board.
● The Manual of the Church of the Nazarene (our corporate by-laws) and our church board authorize the Lead Pastor to select 3-7 members to serve as a nominating committee. Those selected must be in good standing, filled with the Holy Spirit, and faithful in the regular giving of tithes. The pastor or executive pastor serves as chairperson.
● The nominating committee has the responsibility of establishing a list of approximately 10-15 people qualified to serve as board members. The Manual requires those nominated for elective office be a member in good standing. This means the following:
They are actively engaged in the life and ministry of the local church;
They enjoy a good reputation amongst their peers;
They are filled with the Holy Spirit as evidenced by their love for God, their love for others, and the fruit of the Holy Spirit in their lives (Galatians 5:22), and
They must have a consistent pattern of tithing at least 10% of their regular income.
● Six (6) members will be elected for a two-year term. A Missions Council president will be elected for a one-year term.
● Members of Salem First may submit names to the nominating committee for consideration. Please do so through the church office. Deadline for submission of names is Sunday, February 10.
● The list of candidates established by the nominating committee is given to the Pastor or Executive Pastor. The church board authorizes the pastor to make the final decision regarding those qualified to serve. This is done for two reasons. First, they are often the only people aware of confidential issues in a person’s life affecting their ability to serve. Second is to allow a search of confidential giving records to ensure there is a consistent pattern of tithing.
● Letters are sent to those remaining on the qualified list. They are given a date by which they must respond with a decision to accept or decline. A ballot is produced with the names of those accepting nomination.
● Elections will be held on Sunday, March 24 and March 31. Ballots will be available at tables located outside the church office. Voting will be open before and after each service.
You must be present to vote; no exceptions. A list of members in good standing will be used to qualify persons wishing to vote. Members 15 years of age or older are eligible to vote. Please pray that God will use this process to elect those in our family according to His will and purpose.
Blessings to you all!